Do you want to recreate the signature hairstyle of the famous American rapper Lil Tjay? Apart from his spectacular performances, Lil Tjay is known for his gorgeous box braids that have taken the styling world by storm. During his performances, he mainly flaunts a cornrow braided hairstyle with twisted locs. He mainly keeps the middle parting to make this look even more appealing.
Lil Tjay braids are easy to make, and you don’t need to visit a salon to recreate this hairstyle. It also looks good on people with different face types and is very long-lasting. If you have textured and curly hair, you can never go wrong with this look.
So, if you’re planning to braid your hair but need some fresh style inspiration, try out Lil Tjay’s iconic hairstyle. We present to you a step-by-step guide so that you can recreate this look right at your home without the need for any fancy tools.
What are Lil Tjay Braids
Lil Tjay is a famous American singer and rapper who wears a unique braided style during his performances. This hairstyle became so famous that it was eventually known as Lil Tjay braids.
In this hairstyle, his medium to short-length hair is partially cornrowed and then braided or twisted in horizontal, neat rows. This short braided hairstyle with a cool burst fade or a shape-up is a new take on the fade haircut that follows around the ears.
The technique used in this hairstyle follows a middle parting with a zigzag pattern on the scalp. While this hairstyle may seem difficult to achieve, if you follow the correct steps, you can recreate this hairstyle without putting in any extra effort or buying any expensive styling tools. You can use braid extensions or use your hair to achieve this celebrity-inspired look.
It is a low-maintenance hairstyle that looks good at parties, casual outings, and even on the red carpet.
Step-by-Step Guide to Lil Tjay Braids
We present to you a step-by-step guide to recreate Lil Tjay braids and gain lots of appreciation from your family and friends.
1. How to Achieve Lil Tjay Braids
If you have always been a fan of Lil Tjay Braids, then you’ll need to follow a few steps to achieve the same look. You can recreate this hairstyle on straight hair, but the braids especially look good on curly and textured hair. It is also important to ensure that you have at least 2 inches of long hair to create the braids.
Now that you know the basic details, let’s take a look at how this hairstyle can be created.
2. Cut your Hair
The first step to recreate Lil Tjay Braids is to ensure that you have the right haircut. For this hairstyle, your hair needs to be longer on top, and you’ll have to shave the sides of your head in a burst fade. You can use a pair of clippers or visit your nearest salon to get the sides of your head faded. Taper the hair section right behind and above your ears, and leave the back and top of your hair long.
Once you have achieved the ideal haircut, it becomes very easy to create Lil Tjay’s hairstyle. If you don’t have at least 2 inches of long hair, you can use braid extensions for this look.
After getting the haircut, you must wash your hair and ensure that they do not have dirt or oil, or else it will become difficult to achieve your desired look. By washing your hair, you’ll also get rid of the shed hair, creating a clean base for the braids.
A hair mask two to three days prior is important to prep your hair for a night of extra styling. Remember, if your strands are hydrated well, it will be easier to achieve this hairstyle. Once you have conditioned and cleaned your hair, use a comb or finger detangle.
If you have fine hair, you can use brushes with natural boar bristles, and if you have thick hair, use a nylon bristles brush. Work out on all tangles and knots and ensure that your hair is easy to work with.
Now apply a good quality braiding gel into your hair and start out with the actual braiding process.
4. Part Your Hair
Use a tooth comb or rattail to part your hair. Take your comb’s thumb and define the part clearly. Let that tooth naturally and gently take each strand to the left or right, leaving you with a well-defined part. The parting should be made in a way that it runs down the center of your head. Now, gather any of the sections of your hair into a loose ponytail. Lil Tjay first parts down his hair in the middle and then parts it horizontally in half-inch, neat rows that fall down on his head.
You’ll have to follow the same directions to ensure that your parting matches exactly with Lil Tjay. If you make any mistakes while parting your hair, it will become difficult to achieve the same look. If your hair is not too textured or thick and you want to have a part that stays crisp and in place all day use a fine-tooth comb.
This will define your hair part and give you control over the hairstyle you’re going to make.
5. Braid Your Hair
Now comes the most important part of the Lil Tjay hairstyle that can make or break your overall look. Spritz your hair with your favorite flyaway-taming spray or texture spray for a sleeker look. Take one section of your hair to start with and check your part to see everything is even and neat. Now, from the center part, cornrow your hair and take it towards your hair.
Instead of taking huge chunks of your hair, go slowly and ensure that your braids look neat and attractive. Keep your sections clean to avoid getting overwhelmed during the braiding process. Once you’ve done with the cornrowed portion, twist or braid the rest of your hair. Repeat the process until you have braided the rest of your hair, and you can enjoy your finished style.
When you reach the end of your braid, use a hair tie to secure your braid. You can go back over your hair’s crown with a dab of gel for a more neat look.
6. How to Style
The cornrows will keep your hair in place, but it might be possible that the braids may require a bit more effort to look good. Spritz warm water on your braids to help them look the way you want them to be.
Use sealing or your favorite hair cream to lock in the moisture. You can skip this step if your braids are not looking frizzy or are easy to tame. After you have moisturized your hair, ensure each braid falls as you want it to with the help of your finger.
Once you’re satisfied with the overall look of your braids, put on a silk scarf or wait for fifteen to twenty minutes. You can even take this look to the next level by pairing it with dreadlocks, a mohawk, or an undercut.
7. How to do Lil Tjay Hairstyle Without Braids
You can also do Lil Tjay hairstyle without braids by following a few easy steps. Ensure that your hair is squeaky clean, well-conditioned, and moisturized. There shouldn’t be any oil or dirt in your hair, or else it will become difficult to achieve good results. Before you start braiding your hair, use gel or wax to hold your hair.
Down the center of your head, make the middle parting, and from the middle parting, make horizontal parts. Braid your hair’s horizontal section into cornrows. Braid the rest of your hair till the end using three or two-strand braids. Now, your final hairstyle is ready, and we bet you’ll be amazed by the results.
Tips and Tricks to Maintain Lil Tjay Hairstyle
- Moisturize your braids on a regular basis to keep them looking neat and shiny. Hot oil treatment before hair washing can be the best way to keep your braids in the perfect condition. Massage the oil into your scalp and wait for three to four hours before washing your hair. You can use various hair oils such as castor, jojoba, olive or their combination.
- During the week, you can spritz braid sprays on your braids to help them stay moisturized. Braid sprays are formulated with conditioners and hydrating oils, and they add shine and moisture to your braids.
- Wash your braids every two to three weeks to keep your scalp clean and prevent the build-up of any products. If you have visited a pool or a beach, wash your braids as soon as you come back to remove dust from your strands.
- The best way to ensure that your Lil Tjay braids last for a longer time is to cover your hair at night before you head off to sleep. Don’t use cotton pillowcases to cover your hair, as they suck moisture and leave your hair dry. You can use a durang or silk scarf to cover your hair at night. They will prevent your hair from getting dry and damaged and help your hairstyle last longer.
- If you don’t want your braids to look unpolished, get your fuzzy, damaged, and dry ends trimmed on a regular basis. Keep your braids looking neat and perfectly styled by getting your ends trimmed every four to six weeks.
- Never sleep with damp braids, as it will lead to excessive hair damage and will also ruin your hairstyle. Sleeping with wet braids can lead to an overgrowth of bacteria and fungi that can lead to severe damage to your hair. The bacteria and fungus can lead to flakes, itchiness, and an unpleasant smell. If your hair feels wet, you can blow dry it to ensure your scalp and hair are fully dry.
- If your braids look frizzy before six weeks, you can go for a hairline touch-up. Since people mostly see your braids, a perimeter braid touch can give the illusion of neat and perfectly styled braids and can help you achieve a salon-fresh look.
- Remove your braids after six weeks, and give your hair some time to relax from the extra pressure created by the braids. Allow your natural hair to breathe for some time before trying out any new hairstyle.
If you find your frizzy, afro-textured hair difficult to manage, then try out the Lil Tjay hairstyle that will last for up to six weeks and make you the center of attraction wherever you go.
You can create this hairstyle both with and without braids, depending on your preference. It also doubles up as a protective hairstyle and will help your hair grow in a healthy way. This hairstyle is also easy to maintain and lasts up to six weeks, making your morning routine hassle-free. You can check out the above-mentioned guide to create Lil Tjay braids in an easy way.
Once you achieve this look, follow the maintenance tips to keep your braids looking the best for a long time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do Lil Tjay braids last?
Lil Tjay braids will last up to four to six weeks, depending on how well you maintain them. Don’t keep the braids for a longer time, as they may become damaged and dirty. Every four to six weeks, you’ll have to remove your braids and comb your hair. Don’t braid your hair again immediately after taking them down, or else it may lose its strength.
Who Can Go for The Lil Tjay Hairstyle?
Lil Tjay’s hairstyle is perfect for people with small to medium hair. Your hair should be at least 2 inches long to create this hairstyle. This will help you create cornrows better, ensuring your overall hairstyle looks neat and well-managed. You can also go for this hairstyle if you want to protect your hair from moisture loss and breakage.