Have you always thought about creating locs in your hair? Are you someone who wants to know about freeform locs?
Whether you already have freeform dreads or plan to develop them, this article will help. The free-spirited and raw look that comes with a freeform dread is incomparable. It adds a unique essence to your personality and presence.
If you have always been curious to know how to form freeform dreads, your search ends here. It is crucial to know the right way of forming and maintaining them.
With proper tutorials and knowledge, you can get the best-looking dreads. This article shares various aspects of forming freeform locs. It guides you on how to ensure that they last for a longer time.
Get ready to flaunt your dreads and enjoy a fresh look after reading this article. Read ahead to gather all the needed knowledge on freeform locs.
What are Freeform Dreads?
The name freeform suggests that the dreads are allowed to grow without any interference. Naturally and organically grown dreads are known as freeform locs. You need to wash and oil your hair regularly to maintain hygiene and health. Other than that, there is no need to interfere with the roots to create a certain kind of hairstyle. Letting the hair grow naturally without any manipulation holds spiritual and religious significance in many countries.
This form of hairstyle is a good start for the newbies experimenting with dreads. It also saves a lot of money and time. Other dreads require you to invest in certain hairstyles and aftercare products. Freeform dreads save you from all those expenses by naturally allowing your hair to grow. You can add any accessories in this growth process as well if you wish to. However, it is not a mandatory part of the process to get freeform dreads.
Anybody willing to invest some time daily can grow dreadlocks in free form. All you need is some patience and a routine. Allow your hair to separate itself naturally into dreads and see the magic of nature. It is the method with the least effort and the best results. Let us look at the benefits and challenges that an individual faces while forming freeform dreads.
Pros and Cons of Freeform Dreads
Getting freeform locs is a process that does not require any gel or external tools. However, there are some merits and demerits of this specific style. A hairstyle that is perfect for every gender and age comes with various benefits and challenges. Here are the pros and cons of having freeform dreads.
Pros of Having Freeform Locs!
Some of the main benefits that this kind of hairstyle offers are as follows.
- Natural: In this form of hairstyle, the hair naturally creates its path and shape without any external influence. No additional products are required to build the locs. The braids twist automatically as they grow across the length. If you love the raw, wild, and natural form of your hair, this is the best style to experiment with.
- Chemical-free: The freedom from products keeps your hair free from harmful chemicals. Many braids and dread styles require you to use specific products to give your hair a specific shape and texture. These products bring along harsh chemicals that can damage your hair. This hairstyle frees you from using hair wax or gels during the process.
- Low Maintenance: If you do not want to invest in any shaping or heating tools for your hair, the freeform style is the most suitable. It does not require you to buy any extra electronic equipment for your hair. This form of hairstyle is easy to manage without much investment. It is a great style to experiment with your hair without spending much.
Cons of Having Freeform Locs
Along with numerous benefits, this hairstyle brings a few challenges, too. Here are some of the major limitations of having freeform locs.
- Time-consuming:If you are in a hurry to get the dreads, try buying a crochet. Growing them naturally in a freeform style will ask for a lot of patience from your side. As this process grows your hair in a 100% natural way, it requires discipline and consistency. When it comes to this method, there are no shortcuts. So, if you want dreads for a specific occasion or event within a few days, you should opt for another option. It takes three to six months before you see the actual progress. You will need a minimum of two years to get fully developed dreads. So, be ready to wait for years before you get the final look. The wait will surely be worth it at the end of the process.
- Imperfection: A natural loc will have a very haphazard structure compared to other hairstyles. As there is no involvement of tools and hair products, there is no specific shape that you can expect. The hair texture and structure will be a surprise. The imperfect locs grown organically will be the best outcome in freeform styles. If you are someone who loves imperfection and rawness, go for it. However, if you wish your hair to look in a specific way, it is better to choose another option.
- Varying in Size: The growth of your locs will differ in size throughout the year. You cannot expect a similar length throughout your hair. The locs will adapt to their natural growth rate and form different dreads of varying sizes. If you wish to have well-structured and similar-sized braids, opt for a more planned process. The freeform is a natural process that has no planning.
These are some of the aspects that you need to consider before choosing to have braids. It is neither a good nor bad way of styling. The choice depends upon your priorities. If you are in a hurry to get the outcome, you will need to use hair products and external tools.
However, if you have the time and patience to wait for a natural look, this is the perfect style for you. Knowing the style makes it easier for you to make the right decision.
Freeform Dread Style
Although freeform locs are grown naturally, they can be styled into different patterns. Once they have fully developed, alter the style by using a few clips to create various looks. Normally, people with natural locs do not style their hair. They love the natural shape that it takes. However, there is no harm in styling it up to enhance the visual interest.
- Layered Dreads: Layered dreads bring a flowy and structured look to your hair. The different dimensions formed due to unique layers will give your hair an outstanding look. You can use pins to create layers at different heights.
- Long and Flowing Dreads: When you do nothing with your dreads, it will form a long and flowing look. Let them be free from any pins or bands and form their style. This is the most raw look that people choose when they do not want to restrict their braids.
- Half-up Dreads: Flaunt the length of your locs and also enjoy a small bun by doing this style. When you do the half-up dreads style, it allows you to show off the length of your dreads without having them on your face. A lot of times, the small can be distracting to have on the face. When you tie half of them, your face does not get disturbed by the constant falling locs.
These styles can be developed once your locs are ready. You can switch to any of these styles and enjoy a new look every day. Dreads do not mean that you have to stick to a single boring look of thick strands of hair. Experiment and create a new you every day!
How to Get Freeform Locs?
Getting freeform dreads is a process and consistent discipline of many months. Some people take the help of elastic bands and threads to form a specific pattern, whereas some choose to go raw. There are two methods by which you can begin your journey of forming this raw and wild look. Depending on the texture and length of your hair, you can select a suitable method.
Method 1. Freeform Dreads without Partitioning
Before you begin the process of forming locs, a clean head is necessary. Use the best natural shampoo to clean your hair thoroughly. Accompany the cleaning with a soothing conditioner to give your head a clean and fresh feeling. Use a shampoo once or twice a week to keep your hair oil-free.
One of the most crucial parts of this process is to not comb your hair. When you begin the journey of forming freeform locs, avoid combing your hair. It will help in forming knots and natural locs in your hair. Keep your hair clean and dry after every wash by using a microfiber towel. Keep separating the dreads if they combine to form a thicker loc. Keep doing this regularly, and over 2 years, you will find mature dreads.
If you have straight and softer hair, this process might take some time. However, people with coarse textures will easily be able to form locs within a few weeks. Keep your patience alive as your hair takes the needed time to bring its authentic look.
Method 2. Install Single Braid or Twists
Once the cleaning process ends, partition your hair according to the type of style you want. Depending upon the style you want, there will be different parting systems. Create deep and clear partings in your hair using the braiding finger tool. Add an elastic band to each strand of hair and create separate small locs. Depending upon the thickness you want, decide the amount of hair to be considered in a single loc.
After creating small locs with the band, open each one of them. Divide the whole strand into two parts and twist it from the roots. Once you have properly twisted each strand, add the bands to keep the twisted pattern intact. Do this process with every strand of hair. Assure to twist it to the extent possible from the roots. Instead of elastic bands, you can also use embroidery thread or yarn.
Keep the elastic band intact for 2-3 days. After that, wash your hair with dread shampoo and keep the elastic bands on the hair. You can wash your hair every two to three days until your dreads mature properly. Remove the elastic band within a week after a wash and see the formation of locs in your hair. Once this formation is intact, the maturing process will take from a few months to two years.
Both methods do not require any special chemicals to shape or structure your hair. If you choose to use a dread shampoo, it will help in the process. However, if you skip that part, the locs will grow anyway. Maintain your locs till they mature by regularly washing your hair. Keep separating the small locs.
Get Ready for the New Look!
Everything you need to know about freeform locs is included in this article. Your guidance to getting the best freeform dreads is just a click away. It’s time to make a decision and dedicate a little time daily to making it happen. This is a style worthy of trying. It gives your hair a protective look without much effort daily. It allows you to embrace your authentic hair texture and shape throughout the journey.
Fall in love with the unique style your hair has to offer by opting for a freeflow style. If you are still confused about how the dreads will look on you, experiment with your look by trying on braid extensions. It will give you an idea about the essence it adds to your personality.
This style teaches you to accept your hair in a completely raw state and shape. It is one of the most trending styles of all time to be authentic.